We get discouraged. We have some idea of where we want to go, but we don’t have a firm understanding of principles. We lack examples and guidance, and so we struggle to discern a way forward. Even our best efforts are often misunderstood or downright vilified. These are challenging times.
We can rediscover the gift of being man of the household. There is a truth written into who we are, a pattern and indeed a plan in nature for the astounding reality of a household, and the key relationships in it. Times change, and certain aspects of home life will necessarily look different. But the basic principles remain the same. And we can study them and have the joy of discovering the reality for which we long.
In the Man of the Household course we turn to a wisdom that has been lived for many centuries. It has never been practiced perfectly and may never be. I as teacher certainly do not have a full comprehension of it. But its basic lines are discernible. We can learn and strive together to live it.
Our society often acts as though we can remake manhood, womanhood, marriage, and household according to our whims and desires. We cannot. What we can do is rediscover the beautiful reality of family and household. I begin by focusing on the husband and father. To the extent that we live the truth of manhood we can be a beacon for all around us.
This course has four modules:
- Man as Crafter of a Household
- Man as Husband
- Man as Father
- Man’s Work, Leisure, and Daily Life in the Home
Each module has:
- a pre-recorded lecture (viewable at one’s own schedule)
- a worksheet for formulating resolutions and a concrete personal plan
Each student can:
- access my live online classroom at various hours throughout the four weeks for questions and discussion
- email me questions to which I will respond directly by email
This course is designed for:
- husbands and fathers, young and not so young
- men preparing for marriage
- other men who seek to understand better their vocation to fatherhood, through considering fatherhood in its most obvious instance
- men’s groups, Bible Studies, Exodus 90, marriage prep groups, etc.
As natural as it is, being man of the household does not come naturally, especially today. We need to be intentional and take specific steps to become the man we want to be. The course goal is this: to be the man of my household, a true husband and father, taking first responsibility for crafting the good life in my home, and so fulfilling what my nature calls me to, my heart longs for, and my loved ones need and deserve.
To whatever extent we become that man, it is its own reward. Yet also our wife, our children, our friends, and all our loved ones will be grateful and reap the fruits of our efforts. For generations to come.
If you are interested, I would love for you to join me in this course.